Current NPR-A plan makes sense for both wilderness and oil development

Current NPR-A plan makes sense for both wilderness and oil development

In the glow of the midnight sun, we’re paddling down the wild Utukok River in the National Petroleum Reserve-Alaska. Here, the wilderness swallows you,...
A new era of shipping traffic on the Northern Sea Route

A new era of shipping traffic on the Northern Sea Route

After nearly a decade of limited growth, the Northern Sea Route is set to experience a significant expansion of cargo volume over the coming...
The current Alaska petroleum reserve plan is solid. Don’t fall for a land-rush mentality

The current Alaska petroleum reserve plan is solid. Don’t fall for...

During Secretary of the Interior Ryan Zinke’s Alaska visit this past May, he issued a rather hastily ginned-up secretarial order at an oil industry...
Taking a step back in time in Wiseman

Taking a step back in time in Wiseman

WISEMAN — Living in the Arctic provides for a different life than that found in almost the entire developed world today. Full-time living, if...
Swimming for rapprochement

Swimming for rapprochement

Thirty years ago this Monday, I swam from the United States to the Soviet Union.The water was 38 degrees Fahrenheit, and I was wearing...
Murkowski earns respect; ANWR needs protection

Murkowski earns respect; ANWR needs protection

Sen, Lisa Murkowski and I are on different sides when it comes to the coastal plain of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, but that...
How Arctic Council observers benefit the region

How Arctic Council observers benefit the region

The Arctic Council, the forum in which Arctic states convene to discuss the region’s high level and working level affairs, consists of the 8 Arctic states,...
Fat-biking through fierce winds, from Point Hope to Utqiagvik

Fat-biking through fierce winds, from Point Hope to Utqiagvik

Before the summer solstice, myself, along with my partner Kim McNett and our two friends Daniel Countiss and Alayne Tetor flew from Anchorage to...
Crossing from boreal forest to tundra at Alaska’s Atigun Pass is like entering another world

Crossing from boreal forest to tundra at Alaska’s Atigun Pass is...

ATIGUN RIVER — Goodbye, red squirrels.This morning, on our summer-long hike along the path of the trans-Alaska pipeline, my dog Cora and I left...
How Trump made me a whistleblower after I warned of danger to Alaskans

How Trump made me a whistleblower after I warned of danger...

I am not a member of the deep state. I am not big government.I am a scientist, a policy expert, a civil servant and...