A Canadian Arctic nonprofit closes after 50 years of operation

A Canadian Arctic nonprofit closes after 50 years of operation

After advocating for sustainable development in Canada’s North for half a century, the Canadian Arctic Resources Committee is shutting down. The organization announced its decision...
An Ottawa symposium aims to shine light on Inuit High Arctic relocations

An Ottawa symposium aims to shine light on Inuit High Arctic...

It’s great that provincial governments are finally teaching school children about the history of residential schools, but it’s not enough, says Martha Flaherty. Canadian...
Hearing on Baffinland’s expansion plans to resume April 12

Hearing on Baffinland’s expansion plans to resume April 12

A contentious public hearing on the proposed expansion of the Mary River iron mine will resume April 12 and run until April 21, the...
Leading in the Arctic begins at home

Leading in the Arctic begins at home

Editor’s note: This op-ed is part of a series offering Arctic policy recommendations to the incoming administration of President-elect Joe Biden. Follow our social media channels...
Ancient reindeer migration routes are disrupted by roads, dams – and now wind farms

Ancient reindeer migration routes are disrupted by roads, dams – and...

Reindeer, or caribou as they’re known in North America, are impressive travellers. Herds made up of many thousands of animals can cover 5,000 kilometers...
Sámi herders fear supplementary feeding is changing the nature of their livelihood

Sámi herders fear supplementary feeding is changing the nature of their...

There is a reason why the Sámi call it reindeer herding: they let their animals graze, allowing them to sustain themselves on the plants,...
A 400-year Sámi tradition goes digital to survive coronavirus

A 400-year Sámi tradition goes digital to survive coronavirus

Jokkmokks Marknad might be one of the oldest survivors of COVID-19. The annual market held in its northern Sweden namesake town will take place...
Nunavut MP returns to Parliament with renewed call to address housing crisis

Nunavut MP returns to Parliament with renewed call to address housing...

Mumilaaq Qaqqaq is diving back into work, returning to the issue that led her to take a two-month leave of absence late last year...
How the Biden administration can most effectively re-engage in Arctic diplomacy

How the Biden administration can most effectively re-engage in Arctic diplomacy

Editor's note: This op-ed is part of a series offering Arctic policy recommendations to the incoming administration of President-elect Joe Biden. Follow our social...
Bomb threat, COVID throw Greenland’s Kuannersuit mine approval process into disarray

Bomb threat, COVID throw Greenland’s Kuannersuit mine approval process into disarray

A series of public hearings due to begin Friday about a potential rare-earth and uranium mine in southern Greenland will go on as scheduled,...