How Arctic Council observers benefit the region

How Arctic Council observers benefit the region

The Arctic Council, the forum in which Arctic states convene to discuss the region’s high level and working level affairs, consists of the 8 Arctic states,...
Fat-biking through fierce winds, from Point Hope to Utqiagvik

Fat-biking through fierce winds, from Point Hope to Utqiagvik

Before the summer solstice, myself, along with my partner Kim McNett and our two friends Daniel Countiss and Alayne Tetor flew from Anchorage to...
Crossing from boreal forest to tundra at Alaska’s Atigun Pass is like entering another world

Crossing from boreal forest to tundra at Alaska’s Atigun Pass is...

ATIGUN RIVER — Goodbye, red squirrels.This morning, on our summer-long hike along the path of the trans-Alaska pipeline, my dog Cora and I left...
How Trump made me a whistleblower after I warned of danger to Alaskans

How Trump made me a whistleblower after I warned of danger...

I am not a member of the deep state. I am not big government.I am a scientist, a policy expert, a civil servant and...
On a long hike in the Arctic, you learn to savor each bug-free moment

On a long hike in the Arctic, you learn to savor...

JIM RIVER — On this cobble bar north of the Arctic Circle, it is a fine day. The sky is a sheet of blue,...
Alaska pipeline doesn’t need Arctic refuge oil

Alaska pipeline doesn’t need Arctic refuge oil

Oil-industry allies are plotting to trick today’s Republican-controlled Congress into approving drilling in Alaska’s Arctic National Wildlife Refuge by falsely claiming that if we...
Bloodsucking, bloodthirsty, blood-crazed predators

Bloodsucking, bloodthirsty, blood-crazed predators

JOHN RIVER, Alaska — At these high latitudes, where a long tradition of Native storytelling attempts to explain the world — and alleviate the...
There’s rich history behind an Alaska Native corporation’s bid to become an Arctic oil company

There’s rich history behind an Alaska Native corporation’s bid to become...

There are some notable things about the federal government’s approval last week of an offshore lease unitization plan in the Alaska Beaufort Sea proposed...
Under Trump, US-Russian relations hit new low

Under Trump, US-Russian relations hit new low

President Donald Trump came into office with hopes of establishing a "fantastic relationship" with Russia, praising his counterpart in Moscow as "very smart." Instead,...
Seeing the Arctic through fresh eyes on a caribou-filled solstice in Alaska’s Brooks Range

Seeing the Arctic through fresh eyes on a caribou-filled solstice in...

In a small plane above the Arctic tundra, my thoughts about home vanished. Below, orange strands of river braided over gravel bars to join...