Muscles are flexed in the Arctic — but they are not Norwegian

Muscles are flexed in the Arctic — but they are not...

"The Arctic holds the highest suicide rate in the world," Tero Vauraste said. "We have to do something about that."Most attendees were prepared for...
Dear diary: the Sun never set on the Arctic Mars simulation

Dear diary: the Sun never set on the Arctic Mars simulation

Jonathan Clarke has just returned from another mission to simulate life on Mars. This time he was on Devon Island in the Canadian Arctic,...
What happened to the Canada-US Joint Arctic Leaders’ Statement—and why it matters

What happened to the Canada-US Joint Arctic Leaders’ Statement—and why it...

What is the status of the Joint Arctic Leaders’ Statement? In short, it has been given a hasty burial.To review, in March 2016, Canadian...
How China’s economic growth changes security in the High North

How China’s economic growth changes security in the High North

“We will have to rely a lot heavier on our own defense capacities in order to deter in the coming years,” says Øystein Tunsjø...
Traversing the Brooks Range, step by revealing step

Traversing the Brooks Range, step by revealing step

When I put the maps of my Arctic traverse end to end, as I sometimes do to relive the experience, all the wilderness I...
Vanishing permafrost triggers race to save the past before it’s too late

Vanishing permafrost triggers race to save the past before it’s too...

The attackers set fire to the dwelling on the Bering Sea coast more than 350 years ago, trapping people and dogs inside.Yup'ik oral tradition...
Tasting the sweetness of summer, berry by berry

Tasting the sweetness of summer, berry by berry

OSLO, Norway — When I was 23, my Norwegian relatives taught me how to sit still. During the long sunlit evenings in the summer...
Current NPR-A plan makes sense for both wilderness and oil development

Current NPR-A plan makes sense for both wilderness and oil development

In the glow of the midnight sun, we’re paddling down the wild Utukok River in the National Petroleum Reserve-Alaska. Here, the wilderness swallows you,...
A new era of shipping traffic on the Northern Sea Route

A new era of shipping traffic on the Northern Sea Route

After nearly a decade of limited growth, the Northern Sea Route is set to experience a significant expansion of cargo volume over the coming...
The current Alaska petroleum reserve plan is solid. Don’t fall for a land-rush mentality

The current Alaska petroleum reserve plan is solid. Don’t fall for...

During Secretary of the Interior Ryan Zinke’s Alaska visit this past May, he issued a rather hastily ginned-up secretarial order at an oil industry...